Saturday, January 15, 2011

Recovering Dining Room Chairs

It's Saturday and my three-year-old is still sick.  I'm sorry for him, but am happy that all he can do is watch TV so I can tackle so DIY projects that would be difficult (and dangerous) if he were hanging around.

Today, I'm finishing recovering my dining room chairs.  While this may seem an intimidating project, it is not difficult especially if you follow my example of never measuring anything!

First, you'll want to turn over your dining room chair and remove the seat with either a screwdriver or electric drill.

Next, you'll want to remove any old fabric that you do not want.  These chairs were my grandmother's and at some point, she recovered them with this striped burgundy material.  (I'm guessing in the 80s.)  Under that material is the original cream material.  I'm removing the striped fabric and leaving the original material on the seat cover because I don't want to deal with the batting an foam; its just easier that way.



Cut your fabric so that it is a bit bigger than the seat cover.  You don't need to measure just put the seat over the fabric and cut.  However, if you have a pattern and want to match the patterns, you'll need to be more careful about where you cut.  Sometimes centering the pattern is the best best.  I am using two different fabrics (1 fabric on two chairs, and the other fabric on the other two.)  My fabrics are small, repeat patterns, so I don't feel the chairs need to match each other, but with something like a large damask or floral print, you'll want to center the pattern and have your chairs match.

Place the right side of the fabric on the floor and put the right side of you seat cover on top of it.  (You'll be looking at the wrong side of your fabric and the underside of your seat.)

Line up your fabric for the first staple and consider how it will look from the front (once done.)  Make your first staple in top middle of the seat.   Then pull the fabric at the bottom taut--but not too tight or your seat cushion will look lumpy--and make your second staple in the bottom middle.  Now your fabric is secure and the rest will be easy.



As for the corners, I'm sure there are several different ways to do this.  For these chairs, I'm making two folds on either side of the corner..  Play around and see which way you like the fabric to fold at the corner:






Make sure that you do not cover the holes where the seat will need to be screwed back into the chairs:

Staple the rest of the fabric to the chair trimming extra fabric as you go.  I wouldn't worry too much about how the bottom look as most people--with the exception of children crawling on the floor--will not be seeing it.

Voila!  New updated fabric on my dining room chairs!

1 comment:

Risala Furniture said...

Thank you for sharing such important information. It will be very useful for us in future. Good keep it up and keep writing. Read more about
sisal rugs abu dhabi