Thursday, January 13, 2011

Entry Hall

When we purchased our house, it was covered in pink wall-to-wall carpet. Every room and bathroom needed to be renovated. We've done about 1/3 of the house during our first two years. There is still much to do. The entry hall has already had several different looks, and I'm in the process of completing it, I hope.





















Note the lovely pink carpet and radiators.





















The quick, original fix:

































I should mention that I LOVED these rugs, but my son had a potty training accident on them-while my husband was home watching him and I was running errands--and my husband put the rugs in the washer, then dryer. Yes, the dryer. The front of the rugs were fine, but the backing shrunk. They never looked good again!

Since that time, I've painted the buffet and added a mirror, but alas, the buffet was moved to our bedroom last week when we inherited a new sideboard from my husband's grandparents' home. So, I'm starting over again:-) I found a nice wool rug at a yard sale, and I stenciled the walls with a damask from Sunny's Goodtime Paints.

Here are some picture from the in between stage, that is, how it looked about 2 months ago:

















































My sister-in-law, who co-owns Katheryn Robertson Interiors, in
Richmond, Virginia visited shortly after I had stenciled the wall and she pointed out that I needed a large circular or square mirror above the buffet. Aren't I lucky to have a professional interior designer in the family?!

So, this is where I am now.



This weekend--if the temperature breaks 45--I hope to paint the buffet in a high-gloss black, paint the back of the front door high-gloss black and buy a new pendant light.

*************************************************

The buffet is finished, and I purchased two new lamps. Voila!

The ceiling is a dark brown, which we painted when we first moved into this house.  I also painted the interior of the front door in a high-gloss black, which I think makes a huge difference!

I never ended-up buying a new pendant lamp, which is another story.  Still considering what to do...
xo-
Carson

No comments: