here, which was incredibly helpful. I made some adjustments and, I think, was able to make it with fewer supplies.
Here are the supplies:
A Sombrero from Party City
Spray Paint (I used metallic which I already had)
Small bubble Bubble Wrap
Large bubble Bubble Wrap
Shiny, iridescent, see-through fabric (1 yard)
4 small touch LED lights from Target and batteries
glue gun or regular glue
1. First I spray painted the sombrero with metallic spray paint that I already had. I think you could use white or pearl--whatever would cover the colorful stitching.
2. Next I put the sombrero on top of a piece of foam board. I traced around the bottom of the sombrero with a pencil and tried to trace under the area where one's head goes. Basically you will draw what looks like a toilet seat. Then using scissors I cut out the toilet-seat patterned foam board.
3. Using a glue gun, I glued the foam board to the top of the sombrero.
4. Next, cut a section of the small bubble bubble wrap and folded it in half then wound it around the edge of the hat gluing it to the top and the bottom.
7. Lastly, I glued white streamers to the bottom of the hat.
*Note: The adult sombrero was too large for my 5 year-old. I might have thought of a better idea had I not waited until the last minute, but I had him put-on a baseball cap before putting on the sombrero. That helped, but I still had to lightly hold the back when he walked.
Thanks for reading!