Pictures of the kitchen when we moved into the house:
Here's what we did:
- We had the wall (to the left) taken down between the kitchen and the dining room and decided that the former dining room would become a "cozy den" and part of the kitchen.
- The cabinets were original to the house, solid and in excellent conditions, so we decided to keep them. We had a professional spray the cabinets, which gives them that straight from the factory sheen, but at an affordable price.
- We had an island installed and bought the stool at Ikea.
- To save money, we ordered the faucet and sink from Overstock.
- We bought all the appliances at Sears and were able to get a discount by opening a card an purchasing everything at one time.
- I made the curtains myself with the cost totaling about $40.
- We purchased the light fixture at the Shades of Light Outlet in Richmond.
- We had a door (that we didn't use) walled-up so we could move the fridge there.
The After pictures immediately following the renovation, 2008:
The Kitchen now (2011):
BTW, this is the simplest window treatment one can make. If you can sew a straight line, you can make this. You could probably do it just a nicely with a glue gun!
more pictures coming soon...