Friday, August 12, 2011

Family Room Makeover, Part 4, Accesories


Since my baby is due in about a week, I thought I should go ahead and post my family room makeover even though I'm not quite finished.  
Since my palette was largely neutral consisting of khaki, brown, white and navy, I put considerable time into choosing the pillow fabrics.  I believe I went to every fabric store in Richmond and couldn't seem to find what I wanted!  Finally while browsing online, I found great fabrics from the Annie Selke collection at Joann's. Using two of the fabrics, I was able to pull in the robin's egg blue from the desk I had painted, the navy from the wall, the brown from the ottoman as well as the bright green I had hoped to add to the mix:






I purchased green fabric from U-Fab in Richmond to make the cording for some of the pillows and also bought navy indoor/outdoor fabric for four of the pillows.  (If you need a tutorial on making throw pillows, please see my post Easy Throw Pillows.)  One tip that I've learned is that it is usually less expensive to purchase pillows on sale at Target, Walmart, etc. than a pillow insert from the craft store.  I bought several regular priced pillows from Walmart (2 for $12) and then two larger rectangular pillow from a craft store to recover.  Here is the heinously ugly pillow from Hobby Lobby:

Here are some pictures of the finished pillows:


Next was the large expanse of wall above the sofa.  After much consideration, I decided I wanted three large prints or pictures in white frames, which I found at HomeGoods.  At the time of purchase, I wasn't sure that I would  want or use the prints but primarily wanted the frames and mats.  I figured I could put other pictures into the frames, but wanted to nab the frames and they were the "look" and size that I wanted.






The last thing I hope to do if make the table tops a little more attractive and finish the mantle, which is bare.

Total cost for makeover:
$35    paint
$87    window treatments
$ 4     plastic coral
$10    3 cans of white spray paint
$8      2 rolls of wrapping paper from Target
$10    packaging paper (white and brown) from Ben Franklin
$90    prints with frames from HomeGoods
$44    pillows (to be covered)
$64    fabric to cover pillows
_______________________________________________________
$ 352 total spent

I hope, one day, to add the finishing touches to this room, but it will be some time down the road.
Thanks for reading-
Carson

6 comments:

Gina said...

looks fantastic! every bit of it.

Jyn said...

I hope everything went well with your birth! Looks beautiful!

Michelle @ Ten June said...

Absolutely love this room! We do definitely have very similar taste- the whites, the navy, the neutrals. So so pretty! I love seeing it in living room form (vs. my dining room). Thanks so much for sharing! : )

Anonymous said...

where did you get your sofas?

Westhampton DIY said...

Anonymous: One sofa is from Ikea and the other was an old sofa we had that I had slipcovered to match the Ikea sofa.

Risala Furniture said...

Great article this is very informative .......keep posting Thanks Regards
Carpet Tile Adhesive