Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Reupholstering /Slipcovering an Ottoman

I've given this post this strange title of Reupholstering/Slipcovering because I'm not exactly sure what my project can be classified as.  Essentially, I've created a slipcover for my ottoman, but instead of sewing a skirt on the bottom, I've stapled the fabric to the bottom of the ottoman as if I were reupholstering.  I suppose I'm doing a little of both.

I'm afraid I didn't write down what I was doing as I was doing it, so it is a bit difficult to remember at this point.  This will be a very rough tutorial.

This is how I made it:

This fun geometric fabric came from U-Fab in Richmond, Virginia; I purchased 4 yards.

Next, I measured all the sections of the ottoman.  Essentially, the slipcover would be a bunch of rectangles sewn together with piping in between.  Then I created a sketch with the measurements.

I added 1/2 an inch (the seam allowance) to each side of the rectangle.  For example, if the ottoman section measured a 16 x 6, I would cut-out a 17 x 7 piece of fabric.  The bad thing about using a patterned fabric is that you need to match your patterns, which can be difficult, but the good thing was that I used the geometric lines to guide me in cutting out my rectangular pieces.  Also, I noticed that on the bottom section of my ottoman, the fabric was tucked in between the cushions.  I stuck my measuring tape in there and guessed about how much fabric was stuffed back there,  I think I added about 5 inches (height) to these rectangular pieces.
After I cut out all the rectangular pieces, I made the cording.  I hate making cording and probably couldn't give you a good tutorial, but here is a step-by-step guide to making cording.

I worked in sections.  First I sewed the cording to the top rectangle.  Then I added the side rectangles to the top.  Then, I added cording to the side pieces, then I added the bottom pieces.

I usually pinned the pieces together while the fabric was on the ottoman.  Sometimes I found it easier to do this with the fabric inside-out.

 Finally, I took the legs off the bottom, stapled the fabric to the bottom and then put the legs back on.  Then I stuffed the extra fabric between the top and bottom ottoman cushions.

Voila!  A slipcovered ottoman--not perfect, but it will do!



Gina said...

This looks awesome! I can't believe how quickly you get these projects done. Any one of them would take me weeks and weeks. You're so talented!

Leigh said...

CARSON! I LOVE that!!! it looks fabulous... now I just need an ottoman. ;)

Westhampton DIY said...

Thanks y'all!

Gina-this is what you get when your child is sick every two weeks and you can't leave the house for 5 days each time--that ends up being a lot of hours!

Leigh-let me know if you do a slipcover. This was my first attempt. Also, I found this site you might like with slipcovers and some other cute DIY projects:

Kristi~The Slipcover Girl said...

It's gorgeous and I love that geometric fabric! Thanks for letting me know! You did a great job!

Anonymous said...

Hey, you did a fabulous job! I know exactly what you mean about the slipcover/upholstery hybrid. I often do the same thing. I recently worked with that same fabric in a different colorway. Didn't you get sick and tired of those pin pricks? Grrr. I've started using a fabric stapler (yep, stapler) so no more pin pricks!

Congrats on your first re-slip. You'll be hooked!

Here's the link to my chair:

Just Right

Aja said...

Awesome!! I love the print you chose. I totally need to try this project!

Laurie said...

That looks amazing! Great job!

Westhampton DIY said...

Thank you for all the positive comments! I appreciate it.

tlingram said...

This is amazing! I am so impressed that you did this in a patterned fabric! I found you over on pink and polka dot & had to click over. Really, really great job!

Cara @ I Love My Sheets said...

Are you sure this was your first attempt at slipcovering? :)
Looks professional to me!

Westhampton DIY said...

Yes, first, I promise:-) I actually forgot about matching the pattern when I was cutting out the pieces. After the pieces were cut out and I was trying to pin it together, I remembered and did the best I could do line up the pattern. What helped was the 5 inch tuck in between the cushions which allowed me some room to shift the fabric in between the cushions and line up the print!

Christina Barker said...

Oh my goodness, that looks AMAZING!!! I have an ottoman shaped exactly like that in my garage just waiting to be reupholstered and that makes me want to run to the fabric store right now!! Super job! I am bookmarking this page so when I make my slipcover I can pop over.

Westhampton DIY said...

Christina--Please send a picture if you end up trying it! Also, feel free to email me if you have questions. I might be able to help:-) Thanks for posting a comment,